Charity Never Faileth

This Sunday during church this simple statement caught my attention. "Charity Never Faileth". These three words have a lot of power, but first we need to understand what charity is.

charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. (Moroni 7:47)

This scripture says that charity is the pure love of Christ. The Pure Love of Christ. How powerful. How do we have a pure love of Christ? What does that in-tell? From a 1981 General Conference talk by Gordon B. Hinkley he says, "I speak of charity in the sense of forgiveness, of tolerance of the failings of another, of the smothering of the feelings of jealousy and unkindness toward associates." So Charity comes in many forms, like forgiveness, tolerance, kindness, and not being jealous of others. Here is another great scripture about Charity,

If so, his afaith and hope is vain, for none is bacceptable before God, save the cmeek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and dconfesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.

And acharity suffereth long, and is bkind, and cenvieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily dprovoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—

How do we show Charity? Well the answer is right above us, be kind, be loving, be forgiving, be humble, be honest. Most people don't really think of the word Charity when they think about all the words I just listed, but the pure love of Christ means acting in a way that you are in-tune with the Saviour, that you are trying to be more like him, by being a better person. Someone who has a lot of Charity is someone that is always kind, and always self-less, they don't think of themselves first, they think of how they can help someone else every single day. When I think of Charity I often think of my mother, she is so giving and so loving, and so kind-hearted to everyone around her. Of course we all have pre-judgments from our first impressions from people, that is just human nature, but my mom like many others is able to see past her first impression and to see the good in every person. 

Something that I try to do when I meet new people is to try to see them the way God would see them, we are all children of God, we all chose to come to this Earth, some of us might not believe in God now, some of us might not be living in a way that meets what they have the potential to be doing with their lives, but who am I to judge another? When I, myself walk imperfectly. Lets be honest, I am no better than any other person out there, I am not better than men and women in jail, I am no better than the homeless men and women that live out on the streets. I am nothing, I have sinned, I have broken all the rules, I have made countless mistakes in my life, and I know that we all make mistakes, and my mistakes aren't "better" mistakes than someone elses. 

Life is hard for all of us, there is no sugar coating life, its tough, life throws you some really sad moments, but life also brings so much Joy. I know that without the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life I would be so lost, because with the gospel I know of the atonement which is what can free me from my mistakes, and I can get all the weight of my regret off my shoulders. I know there are so many people out there that are trodden down by their pasts, they are crumbling into pieces because of guilt. But there is a way to free yourself from that pain, you don't need to carry that baggage, because there is someone who loves us all so much that he chose to take on all of our sins, and to forgive all of us if we only just turn to him, have faith in him, and let him take our sins away. 

My relief society president replaced the scripture about charity with the word Atonment, and I really liked it, so here it is.

she must needs have the atonement; for if she have not atonement she is nothing; wherefore she must needs have atonement.

And the Atonement suffereth long, and is bkind, and cenvieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily dprovoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not the atonement, ye are nothing, for the atonement never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto the atonement, which is the greatest of all, 

All of these scriptures are from Moroni 7 by the way.

Well I kind of went on a tangent about the Atonement, but the Atonement is kind of the most important thing ever, because it is what saves us from ourselves and lets us return to live with our father in heaven again.

But Charity really truly is the pure love of Christ--meaning that it is the way to show your love of Christ and your love of others. Because when you are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of your God. 

I hope that this somewhat made sense, I wrote it before class!

Oh and by the way!!! I am sending my mission papers in this Wednesday!!! AH! So excited!! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done

i think this is cute